Rambling travelogs from a world traveler

Friday, March 11, 2022

The Fox Den 5

  "We don't know one millionth of one percent about anything." ~ Thomas A. Edison 

Gentle Readers and Loved Ones,

Yesterday was a fairly propitious day in my quest to violate Miz Fox’s privacy. 

Ann and I went out a couple of hours before sunset yesterday to walk the dogs and put the camera back up.

We have across the lake two different neighbors about to make an unnamed appearance in this post.  Their lots are adjacent to each other and one of them ‘owns’ the fox den.  One was out walking her dogs as Ann and I went across the lake to put the cam up and we had a nice conversation in the freezing wind. Rowdy loves the winter because he can run across the lake to visit her dogs. She is now the second newest reader of the blog. 

We put the cam in a shaky growth of Buckthorn plants a little to the left and about 3’ further away from where we mounted it on Fox Den 4.

Right before sunset the fox came out into the bright light and was all foxy for a while.



 

Then she came back out and it looks like she yipped at the camera. 

Later, around midnight, the action picked up again and Miz Fox came out to survey her demesne.


 I found this next video interesting because she froze motionless looking at something off in the distance.  Rowdy does this all the time hunting grouse and I can never figure out what it is he’s looking at.


 Then she started hauling carcasses away from the den.  I have yet to capture many videos of her bringing a carcass into the den.  My complete puzzlement over her behavior here is why I used the top quotation that I did.  She’s doing what appears to be taking out the garbage but I don't know why she's so nervous.

 

She keeps staring at the camera and looking hinky.  I have no idea what this about.
 


 

One of my fears is that I will get a video of somebody’s dead pet.  I thought for a moment that’s what I had here.  But I went frame by frame and I think it’s a dead rabbit.  Please watch this one all the way to the end.


The owners of the house lot the den is on went down this morning to investigate.  The camera caught Milly who is either Rowdy’s sister or cousin – I’m unclear - sniffing the hole.


 Then late this afternoon, Ann took the dogs over to recover the cam and get these videos.  First, we see Sterling sniffing it up.


 Then Ann recovers the camera.  It was around 0F when she did this, so she's totally bundled up.

On that happy note, I remain,

Dad/Geoff

 


 


 

 

 


 


 


No comments: