Rambling travelogs from a world traveler

Monday, March 30, 2020

Woodcock Report, Mar 30


Gentle Readers and Loved Ones,

Don’t know if these woodcock reports are interesting to you or not. I certainly hope they are.
 
Today was in many ways the best day so far.  Rowdy and I flushed and saw a lot of birds.  Eight woodcocks this morning across the road and after Ann drove up today to shelter in place with me, we went down to Kiezer Lake Wildlife Area and found two woodcocks and a grouse.  So, eleven birds total.

Rowdy tried really hard to break distance discipline and I tried really hard to keep him close.  At best, it was a tie.  

Most of the flushes were out in the distance more heard than seen.  I still have not succeeded in the Holy Grail of a video of a flush.

But on one woodcock I got close enough that I saw it very clearly.  It flew straight up in that weird way some of the woodcocks do and then at some satisfactory altitude it flew horizontal.  

And Ann got to see a Ruffed Grouse very closely when it flushed maybe 10 yards from us.  

On that note, I remain,
Dad/Geoff

No comments: