Rambling travelogs from a world traveler

Friday, March 27, 2009

Gone West

Gentle Readers and Loved Ones All,

I had vacation last week and nothing much new has happened to me personally.

On the other had, the last week has been very eventful to my professional life.

I've been mulling whether to mention this here or not....and I've decided I have to.

FedEx had its first "fatal mishap" - as the euphemism goes - recently. A friend and his first officer did not survive their landing at Narita International north of Tokyo. I leave it to you to google what you will of the information available about what happened. The video was splashed all over the news...if you haven't seen it, I recommend you think hard before you search for it. It is disquieting at best.

Capt Mosley and I spent two weeks together in class almost three years ago as we upgraded to Captain. He was also domiciled in Anchorage as I am and yes, the mishap happened in the airplane I fly - the MD-11.

I do not remember meeting First Officer Pino.

The company quietly "FedExed" them home Thursday night with FedEx Pilot Honor Guards riding along with them. They flew on an MD-11 from Narita to Oakland to Memphis then San Antonio for Pino and Portland, OR, for Mosley. There was a memorial held for them that night in the Memphis Hub.

I really don't know what else to say about this. Later, rather than sooner, the NTSB and the Japanese equivalent will publish an official cause. Since it's been almost a week since the mishap and there have been no emergency airworthiness directives about the mechanical condition of the aircraft, I assume it will wind up being some sort of "human factors" problem. We don't say "pilot error" any more.

Requiescat in Pax.

I remain,

Dad / Geoff

No comments: