Rambling travelogs from a world traveler

Sunday, May 10, 2020

The Drumming Log


"You can only cherry pick where there are cherries."   Ann Althouse

Gentle Readers and Loved Ones,

I have a new hobby: Creeping on Ruffed Grouse on their drumming log.  Bear with me whilst I ‘splain this.   I’ve written some things here in the past about my retirement hobby of bird hunting and dog training with Rowdy.  We fell into being Ruffed Grouse hunters because that’s the bird that’s readily available near our cabin in Wisco.

So, I recently learned a really important detail about ruffed grouse, drumming and drumming logs.  Specifically, I learned how to identify the actual drumming log.  (Thanks Mr. Hintz!)

You can find a lot of details about grouse drumming behavior here.  Please read it so I don’t have to be ‘splainin’ it.  

I knew where the grouse were drumming across the street from the cabin because I’ve been hearing them for years.  So, once I knew how to identify the actual log – hint, the grouse leave huge piles of… well, er….poop pellets.  Once you seen ‘em they are unmistakable.

Here’s a picture of when Rowdy and I found the log.  

Rowdy and the Drumming Log
 Next strand in this story: I recently bought a cheap entry level game camera.  It has infrared night capability, video capability but does not record sound.  
 
So, before Ann and I left the cabin last Friday to come back home, I left the game cam on the log to see what would show up.  I drove back up here, yesterday, Tuesday and picked up the cam and then unloaded the truck at the cabin.  I was impatient to see what I’d captured in 3 days but moving into the cabin by yourself requires about 15 minutes of things that have to be done first.

So, when I finally, got the laptop booted up and the SD card inserted I was on tenterhooks.  My whoop had to be audible for hundreds of yards when I discovered I’d captured over 800 pictures of both day and night activity.  So many in fact that it’s quite daunting to pick just one or two to share.
I emptied the SD card, which had filled up over the weekend and then googled how to put the cam in video mode.  Last night right before sunset, I went back and replaced the cam.  I picked it up again this morning.  I had over 150 videos of the grouse drumming!  Woo Hoo!

This is the best picture I got of the grouse.

 
Ruffed Grouse.







Here are some videos of the grouse on the log.


Here is the grouse drumming.

 

I wish my game cam had audio capture but I'm too frugal to pay for that.  

I also captured some other visitors to the grouse log during the night.  This is either an Ermine or a Weasel.  My research says the the weasels love them some Grouse.

Ermine or Weasel?

 A coyote cruised by at least two times.

Coyote


 ...and right around sunrise, I got this video of him.


On that happy note, I remain,

Dad/Geoff




No comments: