Rambling travelogs from a world traveler

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Ice

 "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." ~ Ellen Parr


Gentle Readers and Loved Ones,

I've been up here in NW Wisco at the cabin now for about two weeks.  Rowdy and I have been having a great time goofing off, walking the woods, scaring up Ruffed Grouse and deer.....  Last night I was sitting up against these windows idly reading stuff on the net and I kept hearing the ice singing. 

It was cold out there last night.  Down around 5F at the lowest.  The ice forms rapidly at these temperatures, about an inch of depth a day or so I hear.  As it forms and expands, it stresses itself and cracks and science occurs.  The ice makes sounds that are impossible for your poor correspondent to describe. 

I don't have sound equipment worthy of what I heard.  I got to thinking maybe someone on the interwebs might have found singing ice as interesting as I did, I fired up duck duck go, (screw google) and I found this recording, which is exactly what I heard.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

On that note, I remain,

Dad/Geoff


No comments: