Rambling travelogs from a world traveler

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Different Solar Transit

  "I began to feel that I lived on a higher plane than the skeptics on the ground.  In flying, I tasted a wine of the gods of which they could know nothing.  Who valued life more highly, the aviators who spent it on the art they loved, or these misers who doled it out like pennies through their antlike days?  I decided that if I could fly for ten years before I was killed in a crash, it would be a worthwhile trade for an ordinary lifetime." ~ Charles Lindbergh

Gentle Readers and Loved Ones,

You may or may not recall my post talking about the Solar Transit of Venus from sometime back.  Click this if you want to reread it.

If you reread it, you will see down in the text a reference to seeing airplanes operating in and out of Minneapolis - St Paul Airport flying in front of the sun and how none of us were quick enough to get a picture of the event.

I was browsing around the inner toobs the other day and saw this striking photo.

 It is an MD-11 - the very same airframe I am employed to fly - crossing in front of the face of the sun.  This was the NASA Astronomy Photo of the Day (APOD) on Jan 29, 2001.  It was taken by the French astrophotographer Thierry Lagault near Paris using a small telescope and a Hydrogen Alpha Filter.  

I do not know if it was a FedEx MD-11 or some other company's hull, but this is just way cool.

On that happy note, I remain,

Dad / Geoff


No comments: