Rambling travelogs from a world traveler

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dogs

"Money may buy you a fine dog but only love can make it wag its tail." ~ Kinky Friedman



Gentle Readers and Loved Ones,

Many of you love dogs but often wonder about their behavior. I know I frequently find my dog, Ricochet, fascinating.



Recently, I flew a trip to Oakland, California. Near the hotel was a Barnes and Noble. As is true in most B&Ns, there was a bookshelf containing staff recommendations. On that shelf was this book:



Intrigued, I picked it up and began skimming it. The author, Alexandra Horowitz, is a cognitive scientist who has studied Gorillas and such in the wild. She claims that one day she looked at her dog and realized she did not need to travel to wild and exotic locales in search of rare animals to study. Her dog was an easily available subject for study.

This book was the result. I have yet to read it in it's entirety, but I have ordered a copy from my local county library. I look forward to getting it.

Click here to read a review.

I remain,

Dad / Geoff

No comments: